≡ Menu

A Tale of Two Voices: Dropping Into Your Power

In every writer there lurks a singer. It’s that voice you had before you ever spoke. One so natural, it was spectacular–full of innate operatic ability. I remember my daughter at nine months gripping the rails of her crib and belting out a wail that shook the neighborhood. Her voice had an authority you couldn’t ignore. Fists red, eyes clenched, she cried with an all-consuming bodily passion, worthy of a diva.

Finding Your Writer’s Voice by Thaisa Frank & Dorothy Wall

To tell you this story, I needed to use my voice. Watch the video and I’ll sing for you.

(Psst, click here to find out why I love “Night Ride Home”.)

A few things fascinate me about that story.

Both voices were mine. But only one was deep and powerful.

I needed someone else to give me direction in calling out my powerful voice. My vocal coach knew I had more in me, and knew how to free that strength.

You may not hear too much difference in the voices. But I can feel the difference profoundly. The first is pinched and feeble, the second is delicious, like melted chocolate.

Your voice is vital for reaching out to your audience and your clients, and it’s just as vital for setting boundaries, announcing goals, and laying claim to your identity (my Map Your Artistic DNA course ends next week with a live call so the participants can declare themselves in their own voices).

This week, my friend Abby Kerr is releasing a product called Freeing the Voice of Your Business (that’s an affiliate link, because I’m a believer).

If you have been searching for a more confident, natural voice online, Abby and her guest experts (Justine Musk, Erica Swanson, Amna Ahmad and yours truly) can provide the direction you need.

Freeing the Voice of Your Business will be released this Thursday, June 16th.

Sign up here for Abby’s Inklings e-newsletter to get a nudge when it’s ready. Even better, get on her advance list Covered In Ink for a discount price.

No related posts.

{ 6 comments… add one }

• Emily Rose June 15, 2011, 2:32 am

I love the more clear powerful voice, it gave me goosebumps immediately when you started singing the 2nd time around!

Abby Kerr has some amazing insights doesn’t she!

• Laureen Marchand June 15, 2011, 5:30 pm

Wonderful change! Freeing the voice – much to think about.

• Jeannie June 15, 2011, 7:53 pm

That is very interesting, inspiring, and beautiful. I already know you sing & play beautifully (;-) but that was a wonderful illustration of the head voice vs. the heart voice.

When I went to the Maritime Writers’ Workshop last year I attended a life writing session in which we did a guided imagery time: we went (in our imaginations) to a cave where a guide met us and gave us a gift. My guide looked like Gandalf (strikingly original isn’t it?) and my gift was a voice in the shape of a white dove: when I sing it flies from my mouth and when I write it flies from my pen. That’s immediately what I thought of after seeing your post: in that “vision,” someone outside myself presented me with the gift, i.e. validated it and encouraged it in me.

Wow, that gives me goose bumps. Thanks for sharing and making yourself vulnerable!!

• Karen Wallace June 16, 2011, 8:36 am

Oh Alison, this is beautiful! I love your powerful, centered, melodic voice second time around. Freeing that voice is so… um, freeing. It’s uplifting, it’s enticing and it’s oh so real. Thank you for sharing.

(And hooray for launching Abby! Cannot wait!)
    Kxx

• Brigitte June 16, 2011, 7:04 pm

This was so inspiring. Thank you for being vulnerable and sharing this experience.

• Nanci June 17, 2011, 12:32 pm

Beautiful way to illustrate that our voice is always within us – it just needs the space to breathe and emerge. And what a treat to hear you sing, Alison! Such a gorgeous, free, and powerful voice! Thank you for sharing it.